Wednesday 19 November 2014

Codes of Practice in an Educational Setting - Task 5b

After blogging my initial thoughts regarding the ethical considerations and codes of practice in the workplace, I sought out official legislation and documentation in order for me to identify areas that I may have overlooked. Digital copies of policies ranging from the Acceptable Use of ICT and Mobile Phone Policy’, right through to the ‘SEN Policy’ were easily located on the schools website and intranet, with physical copies printed out and available for perusal in the staffroom.  I identified the policies that were applicable to my role and the inquiry, and have gathered the following information to add to my existing knowledge:

Taken from the ‘Data Protection Policy’ – …”obtain and process data fairly by informing all subjects of the reason for data collection. Data should be accurate, relevant, and held only for a period of time.” This was something I had not previously given a great deal of thought to. I had thought that I would not tell the students that I am observing aspects of their behaviour, for fear that this would become altered and false. Instead, I had hoped that the students would merely continue to presume my presence in the classroom was in order to offer support if needed. However, I will now discuss the matter with the professional support I seek, in order to be able to carry out my investigation.

Taken from the Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy- …”aware of the systems within their school which support safeguarding. Listening to, and seeking out, the views, wishes and feelings of children and young people. Knowing who the school’s Designated Safeguarding Leads and governor for child protection are.” I am confident that I am well equipped with this knowledge already. It is one of the most important parts of my current role and I was able to identify this during task 5a, prior to reading any official documents. Something I may not have considered however, is taking care of myself, e.g. not finding myself in a position whereby I have left myself alone with a student etc.

Taken from the ‘Learning and Teaching Policy’ – “…the classroom is critical in creating an environment in which students are expected to achieve…a good learning atmosphere will aid the teaching and promote learning in the classroom.” This was a point I had noted during the blogging of my initial thoughts. After reading this particular policy through in greater detail, it was also mentioned that teachers of The Arts should have up to date Risk Assessments. Again, this is another area I wish to clarify with my professional support before commencing work on my inquiry, so that the environment and activities are completely safe.

And finally, taken from the ‘Health and Safety Policy’ – I have the responsibility to create and uphold a safe environment, to prevent accidents, and to minimise and control risks…”carry out regular health and safety risk assessments for the activities responsible for, exercise effective supervision.” By giving out clear and concise instructions at the beginning of every lesson, this will help. Overall, I feel that I had independently identified the majority of ethical considerations, and that taking a look at official documentation has merely helped cement these into the inquiry I am to carry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment