Tuesday 18 November 2014

Task 5a: Ethics Ethics Ethics

Working in a secondary school environment...


...it is not uncommon to hear phrases such as ‘codes of practice’ on a daily basis. As my line of inquiry centres around an educational setting, I must consider all ethical issues that could apply, in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the students in my care. Without referring directly to any documents/ existing literature, my initial thoughts as I approach this topic are as follows:

Good professional practice is ensuring a calm and productive environment in which students can learn. There should be clear aims/objectives to the work set and disruptive behaviour should be dealt with quickly. With this in mind, any observations that I must undergo as a means of carrying out my inquiry should be done so in an environment that will be expected by the school, the students and staff. Anything different to this and behaviour could be altered as a result.

No physical or physiological harm should come to anybody involved in my line of inquiry. If appropriate measures are put in place/adhered to by the school and staff members, then the physical harm should not be an issue, as I am merely observing existing lessons that function week after week, inquiry or not. In terms of the physiological aspects, remain alert and aware for signs that the students may be displaying to suggest they feel uncomfortable at any given moment.

I should not and will not include the names of any individuals, nor the name of the school in my inquiry. Any information/data I do gather must remain in my possession only. I should not include any images/media that depict individual faces. This is a child protection issue which was relevant in Module 1 when asked to set up an Instagram account that was work related, and as such is applicable here.

Finally, it is within my duty of care to report any incidents of concern during the investigation period. This could range from a particular behaviour being displayed, or something that the student may have disclosed to me. In carrying out my inquiry, the experience for other people should be a good one, and not a negative one. I must tread carefully; just because I’m interested in it does not necessarily give it merit. Likewise it should not only depict my perspective, but also how it is seen by others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment