Thursday 6 November 2014

Task 4b: Developing Special Interest Groups

Certainly in my case, I am finding Module 2 more challenging in terms of finding enough time to complete work and keeping my head above water! In that respect, I am in no doubt that I could get together a special interest group based on juggling a career with part-time University tuition!


Within my current workplace, it is not uncommon to work in groups or teams as well as independently. Staff members regularly come together during meetings and briefings to discuss matters ranging from successful lesson plans, to the managing of challenging behaviour.  Whilst I am able to draw parallels from working in groups within the workplace, to the groups I am a part of in my professional networking, staff members congregate regularly to ‘get things done.’ That is all fine and well in a work situation but my inquiry is less about solving problems, rather looking more in-depth into an area I take an interest in.


By forming and actively engaging in groups formed on the BAPP course with people who share similar interests to me, or even similar places of work, I am hoping to expand my knowledge alongside more ‘operational’ structures within my practice. As mentioned above, I am finding I have very limited time during the day in which to engage with other individuals interactively, so it was important for me to be able to find a way of making this process easier to manage. For me, the communication needed to be clear, efficient, and easy to access. 

Following a group Skype session with Paula, a Facebook page for members of the BAPP course on Module 2 has been created. Although generally speaking, one might say we all have similar interests to one another, by actively discussing our thoughts on the whole process of inquiry planning, I have realised the extent to which others share similar ideas – in particular, Della and Steph. I have ensured that members of this group are part of my community outside of the Facebook group, by following the progression and development of their thoughts on their blogs too. I am fully aware of the importance of maintaining contact and communication with my networks, even more so now in Module 2, and that by having a range of means by which to engage with them should make it easier to manage alongside my work.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pip!
    I feel that we will be great all of us in a SIG group, and if you need any help let me know :)

    Steph xx

    ReplyDelete