Wednesday 6 May 2015

Methods of Data Collection

Throughout this inquiry process, time has been  extremely precious in balancing the responsibilities of an existing work-load with the demands of an inquiry. During the planning stages of the process I had originally considered using an observation schedule with pre-defined behavioural categories for motivation. However, the review of literature and current theories in the field highlighted just how difficult it was to find a universal definition for motivation and as such, how would existing designs know what I was behaviour I was looking for? Opting instead for a much more simplistic design (see the link - http://bit.ly/1aILoOL ) I was able to make a record of observations during the lessons I was supporting in the form of brief notes. Another impact of time meant that precise details of events were only be remembered accurately for a short period of time. One solution for this, though impractical in this context of studying children, would have been to ‘capture’ events within the classroom by using audio-recording, photography or video. 

In order to formulate my questions for the teachers I interviewed regarding motivation and/or confidence in their classrooms (see the link - http://bit.ly/1D32caQ ) I attempted to focus my on what I did not yet know, but considered to be of great importance, at which point I had already starting thinking in terms of internal/external factors after having begun to review and explore additional literature and wanted to learn more about possible reasons for lack of motivation/confidence. Although time-consuming, I thoroughly enjoyed the data collection aspect of inquiry and feel that this foray into methodology has equipped me with the skills/knowledge to continue investigating my practice again and again in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment