Monday 11 May 2015

There Is No Finish Line

As the final deadline date nears and my time as a Middlesex BAPP student draws to a close, I thought it appropriate that I reflect on my learning during this time and how it has shaped me as a professional...

It is hard to truly appreciate how much I have learned during this inquiry process. I feel I have absorbed and now integrate new ideas on motivation/confidence of my drama students that without my personal learning journal, it would be difficult to see what outlook I had to begin with. The inquiry process itself has brought to light the multitude of theories and variety of ideas that surround both the concepts of motivation and self-belief. Insightful literature that I have come across has been extremely thought-provoking in providing a series of often opposing views. I now have a much deeper understanding of what intrinsically motivates a drama student, in addition to the internal factors that could be affecting their motivation/confidence. I also believe I have a greater awareness of how teachers can only reasonably be expected to manage the external ‘climate’ of their classrooms and various teaching methods employed to support this such as; creating a ‘safe’ classroom, peer influence/the effect of group work and differentiation of learning resources.
In terms of my practice, I now know how to carry out a work-based inquiry, including the importance of efficient time management skills to fit University commitments/a commitment to improving my practice around my current responsibilities. This process as a whole has provided inspiration for future research, in acknowledging that my limited inquiry has only begun to ‘lift the lid’ on what makes students tick.  My development professionally means my approach to teaching classes has changed in the integration of methods to reduce performance pressures and I appreciate the importance of my supportive role/responsibilities. I should endeavour to stay up-to-date with current and evolving theories surrounding educational motivation.
Personally, I feel that not only do I have the experience of personally carrying out the project itself but I also have an increased knowledge about the field in which I work. I am confident at and fully prepared to participate to my professional networks; self-learning and reflection can only improve how something is done to a certain extent, beyond that the points of view and input from others is invaluable to continued learning. On a more literal level of learning, I have seen great improvement in my abilities to use web 2.0 tools as well as technical skill required to create my artefact. As I have previously mentioned, the inquiry process itself has not been the pinnacle of either the course or my learning, but instead I am viewing this experience as one long continuous journey, one too that is not yet finished as I am intent on continuing to further my practice.

I hope everyone is well, and to my fellow Module 3’ers; hoping you have enjoyed (amidst a little stress??) your final module as I have. Now roll on the presentations!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pip,

    It's great to read this from a fellow peer on the BAPP course. It sounds like you have learnt a lot from this experience.

    This has been such an eye opening experience for myself also. Learning new skills, reflecting on my professional practice and exploring new opportunities I can take my career for the future.

    Yes the last few weeks have been stressful but thats only because we want to produce the best we possibly can do! :)

    I'm looking forward to the presentation,

    All the best
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip. Can you believe we made it. I too did a critical reflection and found myself amazed by how much I had learned. As the document was way too long I ended up putting most of what I learned from module 1 and 2 in my appendix. I also feel this course has shaped the future professional I will be. I feel better prepared for my teacher training and just want to share all the amazing things I have learned on this course. How you getting on with your presentation?

    ReplyDelete